This house was built in the 1960s. I kept this in mind when I chose the decor, the new kitchen design and the remodelled bathroom.
To increase exterior living space and to reduce the amount of grass to maintain, I constructed 400 square feet of deck space split into 2 areas in the backyard; one deck off of the rear of the house and the second screened-in deck located at the end of the yard. The design of the garden shed mimics the proportions of the house in order to create a visual connection. All construction in the backyard was carefully considered to optimize privacy and shade.
While living in the house I made the following changes:
1. designed new kitchen cabinets and had them custom made
2. installed new hardwood floors throughout, new carpet and new cushion flooring in the kitchen
3. relocated and built new stairs that lead to the basement
4. renovated the basement including framing, insulation, vapour barrier, drywall, hardwood floor and paint
5. all new bathroom that included a wall of mirrors to make the space seem bigger
6. painted the entire interior of the house
7. new roof shingles
8. constructed a garden shed
9. constructed 200 square foot deck off of the garden shed
10. constructed new fence by the backdoor with gate and a flagstone patio
11. installed patio door in the rear of the house
12. constructed a 200 square foot deck off of the patio doors
13. planted flower gardens and hedges, created gravel pathways and other garden features
14. had a new gas furnace installed.